Saturday 4 December 2010

Stamina.

Whilst on my pre Christmas health kick (I went for a run the other day y'all!), I came across something I'm sure most sports persons are well familiar with; the five componants of fitness:

♥ Stamina
♥ Speed
♥ Strength
♥ Skill
♥ Suppleness

As I dragged myself around the perimetre of Sefton Park, I got to thinking about these. They seem to me to be not only key to fitness, but pretty key to life, so I'm going to have a muse about them all in a little mini series - Fitness For Life or something, we'll see if I can come up with a witty title.

So stamina. Perseverance, mind over matter, keeping going. We all know its a lot easier said than done, but I am constantly inspired by the people around me who refuse to give up. I know people who are struggling with their health, their relationships, their family, their courses - I know a couple of people who are struggling with all of them! But they havent given up, and in the words of Cheryl, if its worth having, its worth fighting for. Que famous thoughts -

When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
- Japanese Proverb

If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.
- Buddhist Saying

If you are going through hell, keep going.
- Winston Churchill

I know how lucky I am, in so many ways, but I can empathise with the people out there who feel like they're getting to the end of their line. When you reach that point where you think, well, at least it can't get any worse, and then life just craps all over you again! But you know what, you keep going. I am constantly amazed at the strength people have, when it comes to the moment, the sink or swim - well, you swim. You have to. There are always going to be times in life when everything seems dark and hopeless, but - I've said this before - this too shall pass. From the limited life experience I have, and the extensive life experience I've gleaned from others, here are my top tips for keeping up your stamina...

♥ Lean on the people around you. There will always, always be someone willing to share the load, sometimes you just need to reach out to them.
♥ Focus on the end, the light at the end of the tunnel, the reason you're doing this in the first place.
♥ Keep it in persepective - there is always someone worse off than you.
♥ Play to your strengths; pick your battles.
♥ Stop putting it off. If it needs doing, it needs doing, and you'll feel a million times better once its done.
♥ On the other hand, give yourself a break from time to time, emotionally and physically. You only work at your best when you're properly rested.
♥ Practice perseverance, its a skill like any other. Even if something doesn't especially matter, if you follow it through, you'll be in better stead when something that does matter comes along.
♥ Never, never, never give up!





2 comments:

  1. Rio, I haven't read all this blog cause I'm a lil busy, but I get the jist that you went running haha, we should go running together sometime, I love running :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. How far can you run? :) and Wiston Churchill was a fasinating guy. I agree with stamina in life, it's so important. Though...hm. I do agree to keep it in perspective because there's always some poor fellow or lady who's worse off than you, but I have a friend who takes it too far. I was pulling a face and making a...pain noise? Because I had pins and needles. I wasn't making the noise for attention, you just...make noises when you have pins and needles. And she stated I should stop complaining because it's children in need and it's insensitive. What the fuck is that all about man? Crazy bitch haha

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...